Construction of this leaning, curved and unfinished tower began in 1529. The original plan was to attach a new church to the tower, as a replacement of the old dilapidated Saint Vitus Church. The site of this former church is now indicated by small fountains.
However, the plan was never realised because master builder Jacob van Aken was unlucky: right from the start the tower began to sink in the soft Frisian clay.
View the illustrated timetable of the tower’s history
Watch the multimedia spectacle
Climb the tower
Be a daredevil in the glass eagle’s nest
Enjoy the view of Fryslân
More information (also admission fees and opening hours).
Book a group visit
Oldehoofsterkerkhof, 8911 Leeuwarden