Logo Historisch Centrum Leeuwarden

leeuwarden artikel link leeuwarden artikel link

Construction of this leaning, curved and unfinished tower began in 1529. The original plan was to  attach a new church to the tower,  as a replacement of the old dilapidated Saint Vitus Church. The site of this former church is now indicated by small fountains. However, the plan was never realised because master builder Jacob van Aken was unlucky: right from the start the tower began to sink in the soft Frisian clay.

Oldehove met fonteinen1

ATTENTION: the tower is closed to the public until June 1st 2024, due to maintenance

What’s on

View the illustrated timetable of the tower’s history
Watch the multimedia spectacle
Climb the tower
Be a daredevil in the glass eagle’s nest
Enjoy the view of Fryslân
More information 

Opening hours

Daily 13:00-17:00 from April to October. There can be exceptions. 


Children (<12 years old) € 1,50  
Studens and young people (12-18 years old) € 2,50 
Adults € 3,50 

Special rates are available for group visits.

Book a group visit

Please contact Dit e-mailadres wordt beveiligd tegen spambots. JavaScript dient ingeschakeld te zijn om het te bekijken. for possibilities and prices. Coach parking is nearby.

Getting here

Oldehoofsterkerkhof, 8911 Leeuwarden
Google Maps